Friday, April 17, 2009

Guilt

Guilt. Not an unpleasant sounding word. It's sounds almost musical as it slides across the tongue. Guilt. Sort of Scottish sounding don't you think? So why than does it control so many of our lives. Why do we feel guilty in almost everything we do, say, feel? We feel guilty if our child falls and skins their knee. If our bathrooms are dirty. If we go out with our friends for a night of fun. Every aspect of our lives seems to be controlled by some form of guilt. A day does not go by that this guilty feeling doesn't creep into our minds and keep us from doing what we really want to do.

I use to think it was just me but my friends say they feel it too. Why? Who instilled this into us? I know my mother experienced it. She use to say she felt guilty if she bought a magazine when she went out food shopping. A magazine? I'm not quite that bad. And I know she got it from her mother. But where did it all start? Why did it start? Was it during the Great Depression that made one think that having fun and frivolous spending was evil and that time and money should be used wisely? Are we passing this on to our children. Gad, I hope not. Could I unknowingly be passing this on to my son? How do I stop it when I'm not even sure how I'm doing it or why I feel it all the time.

It's really kind of scary. It's really kind of sad. I wish I had knew the answer to the quilt that we all have. Sorry, Ive got to go. My husband will be home from work soon and I need to have his dinner ready before he walks in the door. Help, I can't stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment